Algebra (2 cr)
25.09.2021 - 14.11.2021
25.10.2021 - 19.12.2021
Virtual proportion (cr)
- Degree Programme in Construction Engineering
- Degree Programme in Construction Site Management
- Juhani Paananen
Students are competent in basic real number calculations. They know how to calculate values of expression by means of calculation instruments. Students are familiar with exponential and polynomial rules. They are able to solve simple algebraic equations and systems of equations. They know how to do linear interpolation for table values.
Working community competence
Students are able to present the stages of algebraic problem solving orally and in writing and also via online and virtual communication. They are competent in graphical illustration of mathematical models. Students are able to function in various groups and teams and to manage teams, which seek solutions for algebraic problems.
Quality management competence
Students are able to apply both exact and approximate methods to determine the correctness of mathematical work. Students know how to estimate the inaccuracy of measurements and take it into consideration.
- Representation of real numbers, calculations and order of operations
- Approximations and precision
- mathematical expression and its value
- Extended concept of exponentiation
- Calculation rules for exponentation and roots
- First and second degree equations and how to solve them
- Systems of linear equations and how to solve them
- Direct and inverse proportionality
- Proportional to power and root
- Linear interpolation
Function and its graph
- Graphs of first and second degree polynomial functions
- Fractional functions and their graphs
Assessment criteria, satisfactory (1)
The student is able to solve simple basic first and second-degree equations and systems of equations. They know the basics of exponentiation and logarithm calculation and are able to solve simple exponential equations. The student knows the basics of linear interpolation and is able to solve an interpolation problem formulated in a simple way.
Assessment criteria, good (3)
The student is able to solve also non-standard equations and systems of equations. They are able apply linear interpolation also in non-standard problems.
Assessment criteria, excellent (5)
The student is masters well the steps to solve different equations. They are able apply to convert a mathematical problem into an equation on their won and solve it. They are able to independently search for information when looking for solutions to mathematical problems.