Food plant designLaajuus (5 cr)
Upon completion of the course, the student will
- understand the fundamentals of designing and buildng a production plant, starting from an idea and building it into a functional plant
- be able to assess the special features of the food process design
- be able to produce design documents.
- be competent in calculating the capacity of a production line formed from unit processes as well as other calculations associated with selection and measurements.
- be introduced to mathematical problems associated with the material and energy balances of a production line, capacity and other calculations that affect the choice of equipment
- acquire practical know-how in carrying out a factory design project, starting from designing and ending with a functional factory.
Diagrams used in factory design
Special requirements of foods for the food process design
Phases of design and construction
Combining production lines from unit processes
Profitability and other calculations
Parametrical and structural optimization
Team work during projects and the use of expert advice and literature
Assessment criteria, satisfactory (1)
The student knows and understands to a basic concepts and methods of process design and development and is able to apply them to usual problems.
Assessment criteria, good (3)
The student is familiar with the concepts and methods of process design and development and is able to apply them to different types of problems. The student is able to combine the accumulated knowledge and skills with previous experiences in the subject.
Assessment criteria, excellent (5)
The student is familiar with the concepts and methods of design and development and is able to apply them to a variety of different problems. The student has demonstrated creativity and innovation and is able to find new meanings when applying what they have learned.